First things first, spoiler alert to anyone who hasn’t either read the book or seen the movie. I will try to not ruin too much, but you’ve been warned:
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.
Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother–or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
I read the book last year and immediately fell in love. The twists and turns were so unexpected, the characters felt relatable and real, and I loved Evan. So when I found out the movie was coming I was more than a little excited. And to be honest, it didn’t disappoint. But there are a few things in the movie (and most movies in general) that drive me nuts.
1. How does there hair always look amazing when they’ve been living in the woods with no running water, shampoo, blow driers…etc. I don’t even look that good after an hours try with all the above! I get that a slimy greasy haired girl would probably not make for a good movie, BUT throw in a messy pony tail or add in a ‘shower’ scene (in a non creepy way). That bugs me in all movies, and unrelated to the book vs. Movie comparison, but had to be said.
2. The romance. Ok this one is a catch 22. Some parts in the book were glossed over in the movie (like the house scene), and then the parts added to bring the romance in felt unrealistic.
3. Now for something I was happy with…Ringer!! She was just as bad ass as I expected and I was glad the casted that actress who was a little more rough around the edges.
4. The squad shoot out scene. That was close to the book, but not quite the same and the small differences bugged me. There was no Resnik in the movie shooting at them. I enjoyed this part of the book and they completely left it out. AND put Resnik in a different place (and different sex). That was my main annoyance.
5. Lastly, (and this is in no particular order, just as I remember them), how she missed the bus that Sam got taken on in the movie vs. Book was annoying as hell!! They made her seem so stupid…why would she not tell the guard at the bus “hey, I’ll be right back, don’t leave without me” instead of just leaving. If you read the book you will know this is not how that scene actually goes…
I am sure there were many other changes I should be mentioning, but these were my top 5. I give the move 3.5 stars out of 5, but the book is a 5 outta 5!
Let me know what you think of the book vs. Movie
Until next time…