*spoiler alerts (movie and book spoilers)*
Allegiant – Movie vs. Book Review:
This post is meant to compare the third book and third movie of the Divergent series, but fair warning, there will be spoilers throughout.
I was super excited to see this movie as I loved the books first, liked the last two movies and was curious to see where the would go with this one. I realize going in that all book to movie adaptations will have some differences and changes that are necessary to bring it to life, I was able to get over the changes in Insurgent for the sake of a consistent movie. However, this one had me a bit peeved…and I have a bone to pick with Veronica Roth (who coproduced the movies as well). The end of the book stuck with me for a LONG time…anyone who’s read it will know what I mean. It was completely unexpected and not the norm for a YA book…so I was thrilled with the movie adaptations thinking this would be a chance to not end with the “good guy wins and they live happily ever after”. BUT I am sad to say I was disappointed greatly with this. But let’s start with the beginning…
1. Where the hell was Uriah?! I understood leaving him out of the first movie, he played such a minor part. In the second movie he was introduced and I thought, “yes, their setting it up so he’s in the third movie”…but sadly he’s not!! You see him in the background and that’s about it…
2. Spaceships? Weird pod goopy things? I didn’t like this part either as this was not the same as the book, BUT could get over it based on the fact that they were trying to world build a bit more, fair enough, but wanted to mention it.
3. Peter as the bad guy AGAIN?? How many times are these guys gonna get away with trusting him. In book three Peter kinda smarten ups, but in the movie he goes back to his old ways and turns into the accomplice once again! Why??
4. No romantic innuendos between Matthew and Tris. This one I was happy about. Much like Tris in book 2 being unable to touch a gun, they ignored that in the movie and I actually liked that change. Just needed to note it though.
5. Lastly…the reason I am so upset with this movie…Tris does not die at the end!! I knew going in there would be a 4th movie, and assumed it would be like every other 3rd book where they just split it in half. Towards the end I started to realize they were at the end of the movie…and the end of the book. I knew what was coming… BUT it DIDN’T HAPPEN!! She saves the day and LIVES! Wtf Veronica Roth! I respected your books sooooo much because no one else had ended with the main character dying and then Hollywood comes in and is like “yah, we don’t like the ending” and she’s all, “OK no worries, I’ll just remove that part and we’ll pretend it never happened…also I will create a 4th movie even though its impossible for the story to continue seeing as my main character should me DEAD…but meh, that’s minor. I’m sure no one will notice…”. Yah, I noticed.
Over all, if I’d just wanted the movies and never read the books I’d have liked it, but the fact that I didn’t really ruined it for me and I’m now mad at Veronica Roth!!!
Let me know what you think! Am I alone in my anger???
Until next time…